Sunday, September 25, 2011

14 Week Happenings (Crazy, long story!)

Week 14

How far along: 14 weeks

Size of the baby: Baby is the size of a lemon

Maternity clothes: Same as the week before. So ready for fall!

Gender: We will know for sure on November 1st

Sleeping: still sleeping good because of this baby. Lincoln has caused some lack of sleep this week for us all, more on that to come.

What I miss: Nothing yet

Symptoms: Just mega tired but I am not sure which plays the biggest part of that: being pregnant, working full-time, or having a busy toddler.

Cravings: (For some reason I stopped doing this.) With Lincoln I only craved cereal but this time it changes weekly. I had a craving for Chipotle but that is gone now. This week it was salsa and chips and pound cake. Strange but so tasty!

Best Moment: Nothing too exciting with this baby this week. Lincoln added more excitement this week. I have a doctor's appointment next week so that will be fun.

On to our week this week. It was crazy! Lincoln came down with a fever on Monday morning and I stayed home with him. His fever got up to 103 and that is pretty high for him. I took him to the dr for a strep test since that is going around. It came back negative so he was diagnosed with a viral infection. I noticed a few bumps on his hands while waiting at the dr office that looked like ant bites. The dr thought it could be hand foot mouth but since he was already had that he dismissed that diagnosis and said it was just a rash from his fever.

We spent Monday resting and being sick with a fever lasting all day. Shane stayed home with him on Tuesday. His fever was gone but his rash spread all over his body, it looked like blisters almost like infected ant bites. He was acting like himself but the blisters were EVERYWHERE on his body, except his torso and back.

I decided to take him on Wednesday to a new clinic here in Red Oak and get a second opinion. This was the nightmare of the week! First I was there for over an hour and a half and there was NO one in the waiting room and none of the medical staff seemed rushed. When the dr finally came in to evaluate Lincoln, she decided to call in her nurse to look. I thought "Ok she needs to collaborate and discuss this. No biggie." The nurse comes in with her iPhone and they start discussing together what he might have with her iPhone! Are you kidding me?! They were like "Well, it kind of looks like this. But it could also be this." Really?!! They diagnosed him with the herpes virus! What?! They told me two scary things if he had it. One, I couldn't around him at all for 10 days and two, his daycare would need to make a state report. They said he probably got it from touching something in public like a shopping cart or playground equipment. I was freaking out! They also tested him again for strep and stuck the swab so far down that he choked and threw up. They sent us home with an ointment for the blisters, an oral antibiotic (even though he had no fever), and DIMETAPP! Really, dimetapp?!! I guess that cures herpes!

So I finally left there more upset and angry than I have been in a long time. I called my aunt in Denton who is his ENT and asked if she could look at him. So Lincoln and I hopped in the car at 5:30 pm and drove north in traffic to get to her office about 7! She said it looked almost like poison ivy but it was most likely a rash from the viral infection since his fever had gotten so high. I was so relieved. She said to keep him home Thursday (he hadn't been to school all week) and give him the ointment.

He is looking so much better but there are still some blisters on his legs and hands. It was a crazy week and I am hoping he is 100% this week for his birthday! He hasn't slept great all week so we are all ready for a full night's sleep again.

This picture shows his hands on Monday night. They looked like bites of some sort.
This was Thursday night in the bath. They looked like chickenpox. Yes, they look nasty but they don't seem to bother him.

Hope your week wasn't crazy like ours!

3 comments:

  1. Poor Lincoln, Poor Nimz family! I'm so glad he's getting better. What a crazy week! hope nothing happens this week, except his birthday, his birthday party, what else?
    XXXnenaXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carrie,
    I hope you have a better week this week! I'm glad Lincoln is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm. My daughter had scabies (I know, gross!!) but they looked like that. The doctor said she could have gotten them trying on clothes while shopping. We were all kind of grossed out by the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete