Monday, August 15, 2011

The stinky part of summer

Another summer has come to an end which makes me sad. It makes me sad for many reasons but the most are I won't get to spend every day with Lincoln and we had so much fun that is now over. I felt like I actually had a real summer that didn't fly by.

I decided this year to not be sad and depressed about returning to work. This is what is best for my family and not just because of money. I know that I am blessed in many ways.

1) The most important thing to me when I return to work is that Lincoln has a fabulous daycare. I can not say enough wonderful things about the things they do for kids (and the families) where he goes. I am grateful for the emails and pictures I get on a regular basis from his school. I am blessed to know that Lincoln is well taken care and really likes to be at school. (More on his first day back later!)


2) I am blessed to have a job that fits around my family life rather than the other way around. I am lucky that I have evenings, weekends, major holiday breaks, and summers off to enjoy time with them. I will love having summers off with Lincoln when he starts school and knowing that I get that extra time that many moms don't get.

3) I am blessed to have many working mom friends who know the struggles I face with working. They know what it feels to be away from your baby all day. They know how hard it is to leave your crying baby at daycare. They know the tired, defeated feeling on some days. I love that I have 2 friends that I text on the first day and we are all in tears leaving that day and it is comforting to know that I am not alone. I think that is a struggle for most working moms. You think are all alone with this guilt but you are not and having that group of friends who truly understands that helps a ton!

4) I am thankful to have a job that I enjoy. I won't say I love it everyday but I enjoy it enough to get me through every day. Teaching is pretty fast paced so I have few days that the clock drags. Teaching can be very draining with giving to kids all day then giving to Lincoln when I get home but it makes me appreciate Lincoln more. I don't take for granted my time off with Lincoln and I very seldom get worn out with having to be with Lincoln because I don't get him all day/ every day.



5) I am thankful that I can help provide for my family with Shane. Life has thrown us many bills that some never experience but we have faced them like adults and taken care of it. Could we have survived in life if I stayed home? Yes, but it would not be fun life. Shane and I enjoy taking trips and getting to go see family when we choose. We enjoy having the freedom of going out to eat when we please and not feeling strapped. I like having the satisfaction of knowing that we can provide for our family without outside help.

All that said, I am sad that summer is over but we are ok with starting back to school. I will always be a mom first in life and teaching always me to do something else with being a mom. I do not think that Lincoln is missing out on anything by having a working mom because he has more people to love on him than just me at home. I know there will be days when I am frustrated and mommy guilty rearing its ugly head but that day will pass.

And here we are back to waking up early, packing backpacks the night before, rushing to get out the door, rushing dinner on the table, and nightly family play time to squeeze in all the time we can. Lincoln shocked me this year with his willingness to go back to school. We have been talking about school and his friends for a few days so he was ready to go this morning. This big boy didn't even cry when I left! WHAT?!! Where did he come from?! It helped me a lot to know that it was going to be ok when he didn't cry.

I am ready to see what life holds for us this school year. I am ready to see what all Lincoln learns this year and the friends he makes. I am ready to see the new (interesting) things at my school.

4 comments:

  1. Hey there,
    Life is a soup of good and bad. We don't get to choose only the good stuff. I think it might help to know that he will be fine, either at home or in school. You do a great job,as does Shane of making Lincoln feel like the center of your world.
    The pictures were great, a fun summer.
    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't have said it better. Thanks for having a good attitude. And thanks for posting all the Lincoln pictures, especially the one of Lincoln experiencing the beach for the first time. Love that one!
    XXXnenaXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are a woman of courage! Wisdom to appreciatethe preciousness of the fleeting time we have with our boys... Sadness and pride to watch him walk away from us whatever the age or milestone. Brings back so many memories. You are a wonderful mom! I love you
    Aunt Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mommy guilt is an ugly thing, but all mommies feel it...working or not. You are the very best of moms and Lincoln is a sweet, sweet testament to that. Always remember the lives you are blessing through your work. There are children in your class that need you...not just any teacher and you are blessing them while blessing your family. Good luck this year. Love you, Sister

    Jordan (My Google account won't let me log in this morning.)

    ReplyDelete