Friday, October 1, 2010

A day of celebrations

Today is Lincoln's Gigi's birthday (Shane's mom). Lincoln is pretty lucky that he scored such great grandparents and Gigi pretty awesome! We hope she has a great birthday and we will help her celebrate in a couple weeks when we see her.
Happy Birthday, Gigi! Hope your day is great!
We love you!
Shane, Carrie and Lincoln
Last year, we celebrated her birthday in a tiny hospital room but we had yummy cookie cake.
Lincoln's birth date was a memorable day but October 1st ranks a close second. It marks the day of Lincoln's surgery. We got the call about 8:00 am that the doctor was getting ready and they were ready to start prep on Lincoln so we rushed down to the NICU to see him before surgery. It was the first time I got any real snuggles with Lincoln, or skin to skin. I can still remember holding that warm little body close and praying with everything I had while medical staff rushed around me to get him ready for surgery. The doctors were telling all the steps in the surgery and the risks and I wanted to tell everyone to hush for a few moments while I soaked this time up. Putting Lincoln back into the nurse's hands and leaving that NICU knowing Lincoln was going to surgery was the hardest part of parenthood I had faced (probably to this day as well). I left that NICU in tears and I was not afraid to let my true emotions flow. I think all my family felt the same. Some deep prayers were being prayed at that moment.
We were told that the surgery could last anywhere from 2 hours to 5 depending on if they were able to connect the esophagus. The longer surgery took the better because it meant they could connect. We were told Lincoln's nurse would call for updates. So we waited and waited. We passed the time in our room talking and laughing, but we all had our minds on those doctors. Our phone rang and Shane heard the best news we were waiting to hear, they were able to repair him. Tears and hugs were spread around the room and phone calls were made to more family. We could not touch or speak to Lincoln for a few days to avoid any stimulation. Lincoln was on his way to healing.
And now a year later, we have this crazy, chatty, eatin', and getting close to walking boy! A year ago, I could not imagine how far Lincoln would have come but now looking at him you would never guess he was sick. I am grateful for the wonderful surgeon and staff Lincoln had that day and I know God placed us at that hospital for a person.
(This is the new walker he got from Nena and Grandaddy. First he only crawled on his knees to get around but now he is on the go! We are getting closer to walking.)
Another sweet picture of the birthday boy!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much!!! Pappy asked me what I wanted for my birthday, my response was there is nothing that can top the gift I got last year when we got the call in the room from the surgoen that they were able to complete the surgery on Lincoln!!! The joy in my heart I felt on my birthday can never be replaced or topped!!!!! However I'm not cooking tonight and pappy is going to take me out for supper, please come Joins us!!! Love the walker and it is not going to be long and he will be running. Lincoln you are such a joy and so very cute!!!!! I love you all very much and cannot wait to see you all!!!!!!!!
    Love GiGi

    ReplyDelete