Lincoln is so happy that this week is halfway over!
Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Happy Hump Day!
Lincoln had a cardiologist appointment today. When he was discharged from the NICU I was given a lengthy list of doctors and appointments that I needed to meet once he got out, one was the follow-up with the cardiologist. Apparently when Lincoln was born, he had one artery that was open that should not have been (this the best explanation I got, I was not meant to listen and retain medical jargon!) A lot of preemies have this issue and small number of full-term babies do as well, but artery will usually thin out then close itself. After a sonogram we learned the artery had closed itself, which is good news. I also learned that when he was born he had a heart murmur which they found to be a hole in his heart. I did not know he had this during his NICU stay and his heart monitors never showed any issues (I love it that I am finding out more and more about his health AFTER we left the NICU, insert sarcasm!) After a sonogram today, the hole in his heart is still there between the top two chambers of heart but it is decreasing by itself. When he was born the hole was 3 ml and now it is 2 ml. The cardiologist just wants to watch it and we will go back in 6 months to see what it has done. I am not too concerned with this issue, my niece has a hole in heart and she is energetic, normal 2 and a half year old so I am not concerned. It is just another thing to add to the list of things we are discovering about Lincoln that is abnormal. He is special in so many ways! So that was our day in a nutshell (I could go on about how his cardiologist is a little on the strange side and kept calling Lincoln a girl. I almost said "Please open HIS chart and check the gender before you go on any further" but I didn't, my mother would be proud that I kept my mouth shut!)
Lincoln is so happy that this week is halfway over!
Cute boy!
Lincoln is so happy that this week is halfway over!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am loving that we get to hear Lincoln's progress and see the pictures of his growth.Ihope you are printing all of this and saving it in a book. He will one day love reading about it on his own. I am glad to hear that everything is progressing well. Unless I missed it, how is his reflux. I remember you being concerned about that. I am pretty sure I have read all of you blogs. Maybe I need to go back and check. He is such a precious little 'boy' and the cardiologist must need a little slap on the back of the head. Not to mention, does he think Lincoln is a girls name...but you know sometimes the really smart have issues with the common things, so I guess I should go easy on him as long as he is a good dr. Hope your time how with your angel is all you have dreamed it would be.
ReplyDeletewhat a precious picture of Lincoln with the big smile. I can't wait to see you and Lincoln tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear everything is okay. I love those pictures of him. He is just too cute. Take care!
ReplyDelete