Monday, November 16, 2009

Our Quiet Monday

Today has been a rare day for Lincoln and I....we had no doctor appointments today which meant we stayed at home in our jammies all day! It was colder outside so we had a great excuse to not go anywhere.

Lincoln has been a little out of sorts the last few days. About 2 weeks ago we went to his 1 month pediatrician appointment and the doctor changed his acid reflux medicine from Zantac to Prevacid. We think he has silent reflux and Prevacid should work better but it would take about 2-4 weeks to "kick in". Then about a week ago, I realized that I was not pumping enough milk to keep up with how much milk he was wanting. I called the pedi and was told that I could mix half formula and half breastmilk for each bottle. Lincoln has been on Similac Neo-Sure since he was in NICU for added calories so I didn't think he would have too much trouble if we just added more to the bottle. Apparently I was wrong.

In the last week, we have seen some changes in Lincoln's eating. He has "spit up" about 4 times in the last week. I say "spit up" loosely....it was more like projectile a whole feeding at once! Not fun at 3:00 am when you are exhausted to be changing a cranky baby and myself and scrubbing the couch....great way to start the day! I know babies spit up but I took note of when it happened and realized it was happening more and more. Also after his feedings (spit up or not) he is REALLY cranky. All I can do is hold him and rock until he passes out, which wasn't really the BabyWise method I wanted to follow. I think he is having some major acid reflux which makes him uncomfortable. I don't know if the new medicine isn't working or it hasn't fully kicked in. Since we have added more formula to his feedings we have noticed it looks thinner after we add his Simply Thick. We are adding the same amount as we did when it was purely breastmilk but it just looks thinner. I wasn't too concerned with it because I was doing what I was taught until he started sounding a bit "nasaly", probably not a word but when he eats it sounds like a person with head congestion. I noticed it more this weekend which makes me think he is still aspirating into his nasal cavities. So this morning I called the pedi and told them all my concerns (I am sure they are tired of hearing from me!) The nurse called back and said to switch his formula to Enfamil and see if it changes the spitting up problem. We will start that tomorrow and see what happens. With the nasal issue, we had a swallow test scheduled for next Monday for a few weeks but his pedi was a bit concerned with waiting that long so we are trying to get it sooner to sometime this week. I never heard back so hopefully I will tomorrow. All afternoon I have been nervous about a swallow test, I am scared that he will be aspirating back into his nasal cavities and I am not sure what they will want to do. My fear is to put a feeding tube back in but I am sure they won't unless it is a last resort. I want to get this taken care of quickly because I don't want Lincoln to start getting food aversions (fear of eating). That is a road that I do not want to walk! So far he wants to eat but once he starts then he gets cranky.

So today was supposed to be a relaxing Monday to start the week but instead I have been dealing with a very cranky boy who isn't thrilled with eating and letting my mind wonder to the worst outcomes of his next swallow test.

We have had some of this.....
But mostly this.....

Let's just say I was thrilled when Shane got home! I will update when I know anything!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there,
    This is all part of figuring out what he needs. Don't be afraid to follow your instincts, you are around him more than anyone. Tell the doctor what is happening, but also what you think needs to be done. Don't be shy. Try to get some rest, try not to worry, the medical folks will jump on it if they think it is critical.
    Love you, hang in there.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. It'll be all be okay and in the meantime (while you worry) just hold him close and get some rest! Let us know what you find out.

    ReplyDelete