Wednesday, December 14, 2011

He's the big 3-0!

Today is a big day for my husband! He turns 30! He thinks 30 is old but I disagree.

As a tribute to him on his special day, here is a list of 30 things you might not know about Shane.

1) He is the oldest of two boys. He was a surprise baby.

2) He grew up in a TINY town in Kansas, like he graduated with 24 in his class. He never thought he would move away from KS but I am glad he did.

3) Shane was a very calm and easy baby/ child. He would play by himself and be content for a long time.


4) Shane has worked the oddest assortment of jobs ever. From the lawn and garden man at WM to working at a Xmas tree farm. He has worked from when he was young, probably why he has such a great work ethic.

5) He is an extrovert. You might not know because he is a boring extrovert but he can find anyone at any occasion to talk to. He acts like he can't but he does. But he is boring because he will always chose to stay home over going somewhere.

6) He loves his parents very much. Not many 20 year olds talk to their parents at least once a day but he does. That was one of the things that made me like him because I knew he valued his family.

7) Shane can make almost anything. He makes these plans to build or fix something and he pretty much always does in a somewhat quick timeframe.

8) He HATES taking pictures! Like all capital letters. He has gotten better since we had Lincoln and he knows I am going to make him keep taking them until he looks decent. But he hates them. Please if I die, someone needs to document my children's lives or no one will.

9) He is a master of dreaming up things to make money. Apparently he has always been this way and its thing that links he and his Grandpa Nimz. They are both money makers. Shane will constantly come home with a new idea to make some extra dough. Sometimes they are pretty good ideas (he is redoing some coffee tables to sell soon and they will be fabulous!) and sometimes all I can do is roll my eyes.

10) I don't think Shane has any love language. There are seven love languages (mine are gift giving and quality time) but none of the 7 fit him. I know he loves me but he falls in the 8th category.

11) Shane can go hours without eating. He never eats breakfast unless it's a Saturday morning breakfast and he can do all day until dinner without eating.

12) He is a clothes hoarder. Really he has more clothes that he never wears and more than most women. He says he wears them all but since I do all the laundry I know, he doesn't. When we married I made him throw out clothes from high school.

13) Shane is an impulse buyer. He knows this and will admit it. I sometimes hate going shopping with him because one quick stop turns into hours. I don't take him to the grocery store because he totally blows my budget. I am pretty sure it was way worse in high school and college but you wouldn't think he was but he is.


14) He is a football lover. His favorite teams are Colts, KC Chiefs, and UT. He hates the Cowboys but will watch them anyway. He will pretty much watch whatever team is playing just so he can watch. I have accepted it and I am thankful that football is not year around.

15) He is a meat and potatoes kind of eater. He is not happy when I make soups more than once a week because he calls is bird food. He can cook (and is willing to) but there is almost never anything green with his meals. Again if I die young, make sure my kids eat vegetables and fruits.

16) Shane truly loves and accepts my family as his own. I was worried that whoever I married would never love my family as their own but he does. He can talk HOURS with my BIL (really don't get sucked into a convo with them two) and he is always willing to hang out with my parents.

17) Shane is a master at cleaning the kitchen. Really, he does it more than I do. He gets our stovetop cleaner than I can and he can fit more dishes in the dishwasher than me. He doesn't complain about cleaning it either so most of the time he cleans it.

18) Speaking of cleaning, he is pretty OCD about it. I know many women would love to have a man that is but it can be annoying. In our old house, it drove him crazy where I piled my stuff when I got home. Stacks of stuff drive him crazy. He feels like the living areas need to always be clean but the bedrooms can slide a bit (total opposite of me). But I have never seen him clean a bathroom.

19) Shane is a worker. He has worked from a young age and is always working on something. He doesn't sit still very long. This is another trait that I love about him and hope my kids pick up from him.

20) Shane doesn't really have a style when it comes to a home. He likes the contemporary look like white couches and glass tables but he would love to live in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere. Not sure how those go together.

21) He is has more friends from high school and college that anyone I know. He talks to some of college buddies on a weekly basis. He doesn't see them very often but it is not uncommon for him to call them on weekends to catch up.

22) Shane is funny. There are times when I get so mad at him but he will make me laugh which makes me more mad. He tells me stories from college and high school that have me rolling even though I know none of the people.



(I love this picture of us. It was early in our dating relationship and I can already tell that this couple has aged. Oh to be young with no worries.)



23) He hates the feel of cottonballs. He makes me take the cotton out of the top of pill bottles or uses tweezers.


24) Shane is not a sweets eater. He doesn't LOVE sweets like I do but does eat them if I make them. If he had to chose a dessert, he would chose either red velvet cake or cherry pie.


25) The only kind of books that Shane will read are financial books (like starting a business) or how to build something. I have never seen him read anything besides that.

26) Shane is a terrible sleeper. I would say on average he only sleeps through the night maybe twice a week. And this is not due to having babies in the house or a wife or moves/ talks in her sleep, he just has a hard time falling asleep then staying asleep. I feel bad because I am a GREAT sleeper but luckily our son has taken after me in that department.


27) Shane is a fantastic dad. He loves Lincoln more than anything and would do anything for him. I rarely have to ask Shane to do something when it comes to Lincoln and he rarely complains.

28) Shane is terrible in the gift giving department. He waits until the last minute (I'm talking shopping on Christmas Eve or buying the LAST Valentine's card on that day, both have happened) and I think he will always be that way. I can give him a list and he will follow it but I am afraid to see what would happen if I didn't give him a list. Not only is he bad at buying gifts, he won't make lists of what he wants either. Every Xmas and birthday, family asks "What does Shane want?" and he always says nothing. And truly that is what he wants. I think it goes back to the impulsive buying. If he wants/ needs it then he buys it.

29) He looks exactly like his dad who likes exactly like his dad. I know what Shane will look like when he is in his 40s and 70s. Really it is almost scary how much the three look alike.

30) Shane is a supportive husband, wonderful friend to me, great leader of our family and a fabulous dad. He was meant to husband and father (even though he didn't think he would be in college years) and Lincoln and I am lucky to have him!




HAPPY 30th BIRTHDAY SHANE! WE LOVE YOU!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday, Shane! I used to think 30 was old and then I turned 31! I absolutely adore the picture of Shane and Lincoln where Lincoln is kicking the football.

    ReplyDelete