This last week and weekend has been extremely difficult because I feel like my world has come to a stand still as the rest of the world keeps moving. I am coped up all day in the hospital and not getting out in the real world. The world of NICU is a completely different world (don't get me started on that topic!) that has its own rules and doesn't mix with the outside world. I can not believe that is has almost 3 weeks since this journey began. Shane and I did not know that you could have your best time in your life and the worst part all mixed in one. Lincoln is getting close to his one month mark and it makes me sad. He is changing each and every day yet he hasn't even gotten to come home. I wish I could just freeze time until he is discharged.
I haven't been out in public much for the last 3 weeks for many different reasons. One, I don't feel like it. Most new moms get a chance to stay home and recoup with their new baby. This usual includes wearing jammies all day (probably because nothing else fits), sleeping when your baby sleeps to catch up, visiting with family who come to your house, and pretty much staying in your home and not getting out unless you want to. I have gone out of the house since day 1 of leaving the hospital and haven't had that time to fully recover. I am sure the nursing staff is tired of seeing me in warm-up pants and tees but I am beyond caring. I nap whenever we are home )which is a major reason why I have been terrible at returning phone calls, sorry!) but I am still exhausted. And we have so many family and friends that have yet to meet Lincoln which makes me very sad. Another reason I haven't gone out in public much is because I waited 9 months for the time when we go from being a married couple to a family of 3. Yet we seem like a couple but Shane and I know we are missing a major part of our family now. We finally ventured out to church today and quickly realized it was not the best plan for us. Through the entire service, we both were anxious to get to the hospital to see our boy. We felt a little guilty about leaving him alone this morning and the sermon was not getting through to us. We hurried out of there as soon as could and rushed to the hospital.
I felt that I am rambling with all of this but I think my thoughts are all on tomorrow. Monday could be a day of great joy if he passes the swallow test but it could also be a day of great disappointment if he doesn't pass and we have to wait another week. I have no idea when the test will be tomorrow because they will just "fit" him when there is time but I will update when I know anything. If you have a moment tomorrow, please say a prayer for Lincoln to pass the swallow test and start eating again.
So I have no idea when I will step back into the real world but until then I will continue to wear my warm-up pants and cuddle with my boy!
Here is the precious face that I can't wait to see tomorrow morning!

We are (always) praying for your little guy! We missed you so much this weekend. Christmas seems like a very long time away. I love you!
ReplyDeleteHey there,
ReplyDeleteAll you can do is hang on. I remember when your sister was in the hospital the first time and we kept having set backs, for a total of two months over a Christmas and New Years. You just get a lock grip on your situation and deal with each day as it comes.
It breaks this old daddy's heart to see any of his kids hurt, but the heart break is tempered by the pride with the courageous way you and Shane are handling it.
Praying every moment that Lincoln will be going home soon.
Love you, girl.
Dad
Be strong and hang in there!!!! We love you all very much, it breaks our heart to not be able take the hurt away for you and Shane and make it better!!! Lincoln is getting stronger everyday. Good luck on the test today, Lincoln is in our prayers, and we miss seeing his many faces that he makes!!! You will get your precious son home soon!!!! "Pappy and I call him the little man of many faces" Please be strong and take care of yourself, we can't wait to see you all again!! If you need anything let us know!!! WE MISS AND LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!! GI GI AND PAPPY
ReplyDeleteCarrie,
ReplyDeleteI saw Jordan at homecoming this weekend and she told me about your sweet Lincoln. I have had two babies in the NICU. My daughter was in the NICU for four months and my son for two weeks. I do know what it is like in there! I tear up remembering all the frustrating feelings of being a new mommmy but not having a baby with me. It was maddening!
Although a completely different situation, we had a lot of feeding problems with my daughter and reading your posts about swallow studies, in and out feeding tubes, and aspiration sound way too familiar. My heart hurts for you because I know the feelings of leaving your baby at the hospital, others telling you what you can and cannot do with your baby, every day being told something different, and then just when you think things are going in a positive direction there is a setback. I have prayed for your family many times since talking with Jordan and will continue to do so.
Emily Nelson
kandenelson@verizon.net
Hey Mrs. Nimz
ReplyDeleteMelissa has been keeping us updated about Lincoln ever since you had him, well I keep bothering her for details hehe, but just wanted to let you know I am praying for Lincoln and I really hope Lincoln comes home with mom and dad very soon. I admire you for your strenghts and great potential as a new mother! Keep your head high! Blessings!
P.s. I was hungry at work so Melissa gave me some of that banana bread you made, it was delicious!!!